You have researched extensively to find the perfect clinic, looked at photograph after photograph on social media and read countless reviews to ensure you were making the right choice. Finally, you have taken the plunge and booked your treatment. The countdown to the big day is officially on, but what should you do now to best prepare for your appointment?
As you are likely already aware, any aesthetic treatment involves an element of downtime. The inflammatory reaction from the injection will result in minor, temporary side effects such as bruising and swelling. However, there are a number of steps which you can take to speed up the healing process, leaving you able to enjoy your results even quicker.
Before receiving any dermal fillers or other cosmetic injectables, it’s crucial to follow the recommended pre and post treatment instructions to aid in your recovery. At Second look Aesthetics, we want to ensure you can begin your aesthetic journey with us feeling fully informed and at ease every step of the way.
- Make sure you are well hydrated and rested before your treatment. This will help the skin to be plump and hydrated before your appointment and assist in the healing process.
- Avoid drinking any alcohol for 24 hours before your appointment. Alcohol thins the blood which results in additional bleeding during injection. The more that you bleed, the more likely you are to bruise.
- For the reasons stated above, avoid any blood thinning medication for five days before your treatment, including ibuprofen and aspirin.
- Avoid strenuous exercise on the day of your appointment. Flushed skin can increase the risk of bruising due to the increased amount of blood cells at the skin’s surface.
- If you suffer with cold sores, begin a course of anti-viral medication 14 days prior to your appointment, due to the increased risk of them erupting at the injection site.
- Do not wear makeup on the area being treated to your appointment. This increases the risk of infection, so you will be asked to remove any makeup before the treatment can begin.
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, using hair removal products on the area being treated. This will make the area more sensitive and so more painful during the treatment.
- Stop anti-aging skincare products containing Tretinoin (Retin-A, Steivaa), Retinol, Retinoid, Glycolic Acid, or other exfoliating agents. Again, these will increase sensitivity in the area.
- We recommend taking Arnica supplements or regularly eating fresh pineapple seven days prior to your appointment. Both contain Bromelain, which will lessen any bruising.
- Continue taking Arnica supplements or eating fresh pineapple, which will reduce any bruising you experience more quickly.
- Take an antihistamine to reduce swelling.
- Apply an ice pack to the area treated to reduce swelling. Ensure the ice is covered in a cloth and not directly placed onto skin.
- Avoid itching or massaging the area treated.
- Avoid high temperatures, including hot drinks, saunas, steam rooms and hot tubs. Intense heat can further increase swelling.
- Avoid applying makeup to the area treated for 24 hours post treatment, as this increases the risk of infection.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and taking blood thinning medication for 24 hours post treatment, as this will increase your risk of bruising.
Notify us immediately if:
- You have severe or increasing pain, increased redness or the area is hot to touch
- You have any white spots
- You notice any dark discolouration
- You have a fever or chills
We will discuss full aftercare instructions with you in-depth at your appointment. Our team is also on-hand at any point following your treatment should you have any questions or concerns.